Weblogic does not start, java.lang.NumberFormatException, EmbeddedLDAP

I encountered the following exception when trying to start our AdminServer today:

<May 30, 2013 1:04:27 PM CEST> <Critical> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000386> <Server subsystem failed. Reason: java.lang.NumberFormatException: null
java.lang.NumberFormatException: null
 at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:454)
 at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:527)
 at weblogic.ldap.EmbeddedLDAP.validateVDEDirectories(EmbeddedLDAP.java:1104)
 at weblogic.ldap.EmbeddedLDAP.start(EmbeddedLDAP.java:242)
 at weblogic.t3.srvr.SubsystemRequest.run(SubsystemRequest.java:64)
 Truncated. see log file for complete stacktrace
<May 30, 2013 1:04:27 PM CEST> <Notice> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000365> <Server state changed to FAILED>
<May 30, 2013 1:04:27 PM CEST> <Error> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000383> <A critical service failed. The server will shut itself down>
<May 30, 2013 1:04:27 PM CEST> <Notice> <WebLogicServer> <BEA-000365> <Server state changed to FORCE_SHUTTING_DOWN>

This does not really explain what went wrong, but the solution is to remove the replicas.prop file and restart the AdminServer again.
The replicas.prop file is located at :
Rename (move) replicas.prop to replicas.prop.bak and retry the startWeblogic. In my case this solved the not starting server.

19 Replies to “Weblogic does not start, java.lang.NumberFormatException, EmbeddedLDAP”

  1. I had same problem here.
    Your solution has also solved my not starting server. After taking a look at the content of file :
    before : empty
    after : it contains “replica.num=0”
    I think we could have also put this line in the file instead of removing it.
    I still wonder why this file became suddenly empty.
    Anyway, thanks a lot !

  2. The problem occurred when the machine ran out of disk space while applying the latest Oracle Patch. replicas.prop file was truncated and when the server restarted, replicas.prop had about 40 lines. I think adding just one line to the file would have had adverse effect. The correct solution I believe is just renaming or deleting the truncated file.
    In our case, renaming the file worked like a charm, thank you for posting the solution.

  3. Thank you for this post, I faced the same issue and i fixed it using your procedure.
    Comparing the old replicas.prop and the new one, i noticed they look different. I think the old one has been corrupted but i don’t know who or what can did it.

  4. i had same problem today, i renamed the data file and started issue has been resolved. the replica file it contains empty, really great resolution.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.